Construction Code

All construction in New Jersey is regulated under the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. This code is designed to ensure uniform standards of all phases of construction in each municipality in the State. It is to the benefit of everyone as consumers and /or property owners to apply for the various construction permits required, because a) the materials of construction meet codes, b) contractors and suppliers can be checked, and c) standards of construction, installations and workmanship are assured by the municipal inspectors.

The Construction Code Office is open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The telephone number is (973) 595-7766 x132


Construction & Building Sub Code Official: Phil Cheff
Hours: M/F – Noon – 2:00P.M.

Plumbing Sub Code Official: Phil Cheff
Hours: T/Th – 8:30A.M. – 11:00A.M.

Electrical Sub Code Official: Phil Cheff, Jim Booth
Hours: M/T – 1:30P.M. – 5:00P.M.

Fire Sub Code Official: Jim Booth
Hours: M/W 9:00A.M. – Noon

Code Enforcement Officer: John Lindberg
Hours: M/F 9:00A.M. – 4:00P.M.

Office Phone: (973) 595-7766 Ext. 132


Zoning Officer: Glen Turi
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 11:00A.M. – 1:00P.M.

The zoning office handles the following responsibilities:

  • Regulations on yard requirements for construction i.e. decks, additions, pools.

  • Fence Heights and installation i.e. how high a fence can be on a property

  • Accessory structures i.e. sheds, patios, & garages.

  • Outdoor Parking regulations i.e. parking and storing of boats & trailers etc.

  • All signage i.e. commercial & residential.


You must obtain a building permit from the building department before making the following changes to your house:

  • Replacing a roof

  • Installing new siding

  • Adding a bedroom or bathroom

  • Adding an addition

  • Interior alterations

  • Constructing a deck

  • Enclosing a porch

  • Installing a dishwasher

  • Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove

  • Finishing a basement

  • New kitchen

  • Central air conditioning

  • New wiring

  • New furnace, boiler, or hot water heater

  • All swimming pools


You don't need a permit for ordinary repairs on a one or two-family dwelling. These changes include:

  • Repairing roofing or siding material with like material, if the area doesn't exceed 25 percent of the roof within a year

  • Repairing and replacing duct work

  • Installing floor material, including carpeting

  • Painting the exterior or interior

  • Replacing any window or door, if no change in the dimensions or framing of the opening is involved

  • Covering walls, plastering or placing a drywall on an existing wall

  • Replacing glass in any window or door, if the replacement glass conforms to minimum requirements

  • Replacing any faucet or valve, if the piping system doesn't have to be rearranged

NOTE: A certificate of Occupancy is required for all property sales & rentals in the Borough of Haledon. This includes residential as well as commercial properties.


Items requiring no permits include the following:

  • Interior and exterior painting

  • Window boxes and trellises

  • Window shutter installation & repairs

  • Carpet Window glazing and puttying

  • Kitchen floors, tile or linoleum

  • Changing locks-single cylinder, dead bolts only

  • Landscape work

  • New gutters and leaders (excluding built-up gutters)

  • Install storm windows and doors

Some items of repair and maintenance do require permits.


Repair Type

Chimney Repairs
Fence replacement
Install additional wall outlets
Increase power service to home
Roof repairs over 25%
New roof
Porch and stair repairs
New fence
Build new retaining wall
Install hard surface driveways
Create additional off-street parking
Pipe leaders to existing storm drains
Repair existing patios
Build or erect utility buildings, e.g., aluminum sheds and wood sheds
Install exterior entry into basement
Install driveway post light
Demolish sheds and/or buildings
Water softeners
Water heaters


Remodeling of kitchen
Remodeling of bathroom
New exterior siding and veneers
Add sun deck — portico — porch
Permanent type swimming pools
Plumbing alteration, modernization, and tilling
Install masonry patios
Finish basement for recreation rooms, laundry rooms, game rooms and etc.
Finish attic for additional rooms of any kind
Additions to house for rooms of any kind, garage, greenhouse, etc.

Permit Type

Check with construction official
Check with construction official
Construction permit
Construction permit
Check with construction official
Check with construction official
Check with construction official
Construction permit
Check with construction official
Construction permit
Construction permit as per Borough Ordinance
Check with construction official
Check with construction official
Construction permit

Construction permit
Construction permit
Demolition permit
Construction permit
Construction permit

Construction permit
Construction permit
Construction permit
Construction permit
Construction permit
Construction permit

Construction permit
Construction permit

Construction permit


Other improvements and alterations not listed may need a permit; therefore please call the construction official at (973)595-7766x132 to check prior to commencing work.

All construction permits are obtained from the Construction Official; Municipal Building, 510 Belmont Avenue, Haledon.

If building permits are not obtained for improvements, penalties are imposed.

No permits are issued after 4:00 pm

The Following are requirements under the UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE N.J.A.C.5:23-2.18 INSPECTIONS

  • FOOTINGS: The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings.

  • FOUNDATION: All walls up to grade level; plastered, water proofed, footing drains in place, prior to back fill.

  • STRUCTURAL FRAMING: All structural framing and connections, prior to covering with finish or infill material; after rough Electrical and Plumbing inspections and approvals.

  • INSULATION: After rough Electric, Plumbing and Framing inspections and approvals.

  • FINISHES and FINALS: Installation of all finished materials, plumbing piping, trim and fixtures, electrical wiring, devices and fixtures, mechanical systems.

  • CERTIFICATE of OCCUPANCY: N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.23 Issued after all final inspections and approvals from Building, Electric, Plumbing, and Fire Subcode Officials.

NOTICE of INSPECTIONS: N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.18 (c) The owner or other responsible person in charge of work shall notify the enforcing agency when the work is ready for any required inspections specified herein or required by the Construction Official or appropriate Subcode Official. This notice shall be given at least 24 hours prior to the time the inspection is desired. Inspections shall be performed within 3 business days of the time for which it was requested.

POSTING of PERMIT: N.J.A.C. 5:23 - 2.16 (h) A true copy of the Construction Permit shall be kept on the site of operations until work is complete and Certificate has been issued.



  • A set of Building Department approved plans must be available on the site at all times.

  • A Certificate of Occupancy is required before any new structure is occupied.

  • Any permit issued shall become invalid if authorized work is not commenced within 12 months of issuance of this permit, or if the authorized work is suspended or abandoned for 6 months after the time of commencing the work.