Procedure for Obtaining a Civil Union or Marriage License


  • Application may be made up to 6 months before, but not less than 72 hours before the ceremony. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.  Parental consent is required for those under the age of 18.

  • Civil Union and Marriage applications are taken  are by appointment only.  To make an appointment or to speak to the Registrar, call (973) 942-6538 ext. 107.   

  • Application may be made in the municipality in which either applicant resides.


The Civil Union or Marriage license shall be issued by the licensing officer

(Registrar or Deputy Registrar) in the municipality in which the applicants apply and

is valid for use in ANY municipality in the State of New Jersey.


If neither applicant is a RESIDENT of New Jersey, the application is to be made in the MUNICIPALITY WHERE THE PROPOSED CIVIL UNION OR MARRIAGE IS TO BE PERFORMED.



  • $28.00 fee (exact change or one check or money order

       (made payable to the Borough of Haledon).   

  • One witness over the age of 18.

  • Proof of residence.

  • Divorce decree if either party has been married before; or

  • Death certificate if widowed; or 

  • Dissolution of a Civil Union if either party has been in a civil union before; or 

  • Termination of a Domestic Partnership.

  • Social security numbers.

  • Birth certificates or naturalization papers.


1)      There is a 72-hour waiting period (3 days) to process the application.

2)      After the waiting period, applicants must return to pick up the license.

  Licenses cannot be mailed.

3)   Five days after the ceremony:

Your civil union or marriage certificate will be on file in the municipality

where your ceremony was performed (responsibility of the person who

officiated at your ceremony).


The Application (Reg-77) can be obtained online from the State Registrar at:

or, in person at any Local Registrar’s office (Licensing officer).

For a complete listing of all the Registrars in the State of New Jersey, go to:


  • The Haledon Registrar’s office is located in the Tax & Finance Department, found on the 1st floor of the  Haledon Municipal Building, 510 Belmont Ave. Haledon,NJ.


  • The Borough of Haledon, Registrar of Vital Statistics also issues CERTIFIED COPIES of birth, death, civil union, and marriage certificates, for events which occurred within the

Borough of Haledon. Requests for certified copies can be made in person, by mail or by

calling the Registrar or Deputy Registrar. The fee for each copy is $15.00.



Deborah Gutches,Registrar                  Joanne Van Hook, Deputy Registrar

(973) 942-6538 Ext.107                      (973) 595-7766 Ext.109